Most of you know I’m all about eating as healthy as possible. I’m 100% for home made meals over all other kinds. (Thinking about getting a T shirt with that on it.)
Imagine my disgust with an article that basically said that home lunches aren’t safe? I got the vibe that since they’re not staying cool enough, school lunches are a better choice. I’m a child of the 80’s. My mom packed my lunch nearly 5 hours before I enjoyed my lunch. We’re well aware that the bag didn’t stay cool indefinitely.
There are a couple of things this article didn’t address.
- I make my lunches the night before and put the entire lunchbox in the fridge. The entire box is very cold come departure time.
- Many, many a student have had lunch that would be considered “unsafe” and haven’t had any kind of ill effects.
- The alternative is for kids to eat overly processed “lunchables” or school lunch. I’ll take gamble with food poisoning.
- Did the temp of the room play any role in the temp of the lunch bag?
- *An open minded teacher wouldn’t mind putting a lunch box in the teacher’s lounge fridge every now and then
The solution was that a parent should pack multiple ice packs, cold or frozen foods and if possible dry goods that don’t need cooling. Call me a conspiracy theory guy, but I saw another angle to this article. Let the schools feed your kids. It wasn’t said out right, but you can certainly see where I got that from.
So let’s look at some of the yumminess that’s called school lunch.
One of the last bastions of choice in school is what our kids eat for lunch. I don’t judge anyone who chooses to let their kids eat school fair. That’s on you. I let me kids get the school lunch most of the time. Usually two times a week I fix my 2nd grader’s lunch. I fix my own lunch everyday and some days the Queen graces me to fix her lunch. It’s my choice and I relish the opportunity to do this for my family.
* I will NOT EVER heat kids lunch up. Please don’t send them to school with hot wings or pizza. Also if your student is a handful during the regular school day please pack them a lunchable, cause I’m not going out of my way.