The 1st part of this school year is almost wrapped up like a present under the tree. I can’t say just how excited I am about getting away and recharging, but I am sure you understand my current state.
Also this marks the end of 2015 a pretty good year over all. As with all years it seems to have just flown by, but a lot happened this year. I am going to just highlight a few mostly centered around the shaping of young minds.
- I have a fantastic group of students.
- Lots and lots of good kids here. Most want to do well and just need direction and guidance.
- My co-workers are the BEST!
- Most of my systems have worked out well…albeit I need some more. Next year I need to have a system for systems.
- My centers have been on point all year long.
- The ESOL students have been “getting it”.
- I’ve had a blast teaching science and social studies this year.
- I had some awesome student teacher observers. Hope they get a great classroom one day.
- The support team here is out of this world! Real troopers
- I am enjoying Marietta City Schools. It’s different from APS and it’s ok.
- I’ve had some FANTASTIC class visitors this year. Not sure how I can top the Docs coming in to talk about good back health and getting my babies moving.
- MEAL PREP!
- I haven’t seen as much progress as I thought we’d have by close of 2015.
- Cracking the code and helping them WANT to learn has proven to be a much more tricky task than I first thought.
- I don’t honestly think I get the guided reading/math portion of my day.
The Down Right Silly
I’ve had the best time teaching 1st grade! I’ve had some adventures for sure…
- The student that didn’t like me because I was “brown”. Oh he was brown as well.
- My ESOL student that corrects me every time I try to speak Spanish.
- When I was having a emotional break down over a student leaving my student that consoled me by telling me she’ll do good work, too.
- The kindergartner who told me she’ll behave in class because she loved me.
- The student who gave my co-worker a recycled day card that had been given to her, but it was in Spanish.
- The student that told me that “decomposing numbers” is like when is daddy took the rims off the car.
- My little guy who refuses to put his shoes on correctly. He even will change them back if I have him change them.
On the non-school related front I had such a great year. Many, many new things happened.
- I became a better dad and a pretty good husband
- Started Olympic Lifting and have found a real desire
- Finally got to my goal body fat
- Financially, Team Whitaker got on track this year.
- We’re taking our first REAL vacation this year! Won’t be our last.
- I had so much fun with my BGE!
- I cleaned out my friend stable. Now I feel lighter not carrying around so many extra folk.
I’ll post a pictorial collage later.